Sunday 8 July 2012

The Hornsby Series of Chess

I like creative approaches to chess organisation, so I'm pleased to see the organisers of this years Hornsby Weekender attempt a new format for a weekends worth of chess. The Hornsby Series of Chess runs from the 3rd to the 5th of August, and consists of not 1, but 8 different events!
The events run one after the other, and you can choose to play one, some or all of them. They include normal blitz, bullet, hourglass, transfer, Fischer Random, a KO tournament, and Rapidplay. It is almost like a chess octathalon, which is kind of fitting, as it will be running during the Olympics.
I'm tempted to make the trip to Sydney to play, although if I did it would most likely be on the last day, which means I miss out on the real fun events. However if you are in Sydney or can get there for the weekend I would strongly encourage you to play. It might be just the tonic after the previous weekends ANU Open in Canberra!

No comments: