Saturday 31 March 2012

When Wizards meet Christians

I recieved a phone call in the middle of the week from the ANU Harry Potter Society, asking if they could use the large chess pieces that Street Chess look after. They wanted to play Wizard's Chess on the large chess board in Garema Place in Caneberra City. This wasn't a problem I explained, although I suggested they book the chess board itself, as this open space is used for other activities, such as dancing, ice skating, and a lot of political protests. So they turned up on Saturday and proceed to play Wizard's Chess. Now I wasn't playing close attention but Wizard's Chess looked like normal chess to me, although every now and then someone would try and behead a piece with a paper-mache axe, and someone wearing robes would shout "Release the second priest". This went on for a while until the local Christians turned up with their sound system and began to set up for an afternoons preaching. Given the attitude to magic and wizardry that some christian groups hold, I thought this could get pretty interesting. However I assumed that as Harry Potter fans have no actual magical ability, and christians believe that they do, the odds favoured the Christians pretty heavily. And after a few minutes the Harry Potter fans decided to retreat, rapidly clearing the board and packing the pieces away. It turned out that the only thing the Christians needed to say was "God will checkmate you!", and the HP fans decided that they'd heard enough.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet I know who was having more fun, and they had to leave first...

Anonymous said...

If some one needs to be updated with most up-to-date technologies then he must be go to
see this web site and be up to date daily.
Have a look at my web site :: stock trading sites