Thursday 1 March 2012

What I'm giving up for Lent

Despite being an atheist, I've decided to make a sacrifice for Lent. I've decided to forgo the use of chess engines when I am playing through my games, and most other games I'm adding to databases. I've realized that I've lost my 'board vision' and am losing the ability to assess positions, especially when I am looking at random games in tournaments. Maybe it is just a function of age, but I suspect that relying on the little numbers on the bottom of the screen are a contributing factor. So unless I really, really need computer assistance ( eg for magazine work) I'm going to muddle my way through, like in the pre computer age. Hopefully this will result in a small improvement in my play, but if not, at least I can say I tried.

No comments: