Monday 3 April 2023

One more weird rule

 With the Interschool chess season starting, my collection of strange rules continues to grow. In a recent competition there was a disputed finish because one player informed their opponent that "kings were not allowed to capture". I assume that the reasoning was that in other games the player was told "the king can't capture that piece", but wasn't given a reason (it would put the king in check). Unfortunately the game was completed (and the board reset) before I was told of this.

In a related event, I then made an announcement about checking 'strange rules' that an opponent insists are real, and gave as an example of a fake rule 'pawns must wait a turn on the back rank before being promoted'. Lo and behold, two rounds later, a game was played where one player insisted that this *was* a rule, because I said it was!


No comments: