Wednesday 19 April 2023

Once upon a time

 When I was 8 years old I moved back to PNG (where I was born) from Melbourne. The big junior sport at my school was Soccer, although Rugby League was also played. As the season was about to start I was listening to some of my classmates saying how good they were. Deciding to join in the conversation I mentioned how I had scored some massive number of goals when I lived in Melbourne. So they invited me to join the team, with the first trial match being that upcoming weekend.

The only problem with my claim is that I had never played a game of soccer in my life. And as the day approached I knew I was about to get found out. In fact it was quite soon after the game began that the coach realised that my claims to being a prolific goal scorer were complete fiction, although he at least thought to ask my dad before he dragged me. My father of course informed him that this was my first game of soccer ever, and at half time I was relegated to defence. I felt very ashamed of this lie, both at the time, and even now, almost 50 years later. As it turned out I ended up as the goalkeeper next season, and we finished runner up that year.

In what is hardly a surprise, it turns out kids lie. I certainly did, to make myself look good, but was quickly found out. What was interesting was my father did not get mad about this, as he thought it was both funny, and that my embarrassment at being caught was punishment enough. I contrast this to some parents who reflexively defend their child, even when the facts are clear. Sadly this happened a couple of times in recent tournaments I was involved in. And while I understand that parents can be over-invested in their child's competitive career, based on my own experience, it is better that children face up to their mistakes, rather than have them explained away.


2 comments:

Derek said...

I absolutely love your blog Shaun!

MachoM said...

We player together one afternoon at Mount Buller ...