Friday 9 November 2012

Random chess sightings

Driving to work this morning I was listening to a preview of the 1st Cricket Test between Australia and South Africa, and one of the commentators used the term "chess-piecing". He said that Australia had engaged in 'some chess-piecing' before the match, which I assumed meant arranging the team to match the strengths of the South Africans. Nonetheless it is not a term I have ever heard before.
Then this evening I tried to catch a little bit of The Daily Show, to see the wash up from the US Presidential Election. However the bit I did catch was an interview with the director of 'Brooklyn Castle' which is a new documentary on a very successful chess chess team from a school in New York. The link to the episode  is here, although the video does not work here in Australia.
Then finally, I caught a repeat of an episode of QI, and one of the topics of discussion was the loss by Gary Kasparov to Deep Blue. "Poor Gary" was Stephen Fry's parting comment.

No comments: