Saturday 5 September 2009

Never give up hope


The following position occurred towards the end of a skittles game I played today. As with most of my skittles games, I don't always look too hard for wins and finding a clever draw is often enough reward for me. As it turned out, in looking for a draw I passed up an earlier win (although I confess I didn't realise it at the time).
I had just checked on a1 and after 1. Kg2 I played 1. ... Qf3+ "Ah, so now you have a draw" said my opponent, in a "You are so lucky" kind of voice. "Maybe" I said as the game continued with 2.Kh3 Qg4+ 3.Kg2 "But what happens when I move my bishop" I asked as I played 3. ... Ba6 After a bit of fumbling my opponent went to play h3, but I pointed out the mate to him. "Well" he said in a resigned voice, "I could always capture on g7". At this point I smiled and said "Of course! And after 4.Rxg7+ Qxg7 5.Qxg7+ Kxg7 you have 6.Be5+ picking up the rook on a1, and although I have an extra pawn, everyone knows that bishop of opposite colour endings are always drawn"

No comments: