Sunday 20 September 2009

Karpov v Kasparov Match

The Karpov v Kasparov match begins in Valencia, Spain, tomorrow. Well, the opening ceremony is tomorrow, with the match itself starting on Tuesday night (Canberra time). The website for the match is http://www.matchkarpovkasparov.com/index2.html
As this is an exhibition match there is nothing at stake except pride (and money), and I'm not sure how serious the match is, given the decline in Karpov's results over the last 5 years, and Kasparov's inactivity. However I did have similar thoughts about the KvK X3D Match in New York in 2002, where I assumed that Kasparov would just crush Karpov. Instead Kasparov "blew up" in game 2, then lost game 3 as well and lost the match 2.5-1.5.
But having said that I will put my money on a Kasparov victory this time around.

No comments: