Wednesday 9 June 2010

Chess, politics and journalism

Alan Mascarenhas was a regular player at the ANU Chess Club until until the last few weeks. However a job opportunity in New York took him away from the club, although what that job was was unknown to me until now. Turns out that Alan was off the US to write for Newsweek, and the US political scene is his beat. One of the first articles of his I discovered was the suggestion that Sarah Palin and Mitt Romney are "stalking each other like chess grandmasters". While I like the gratuitous chess reference, I'm not sure applying it Sarah Palin is grounded in reality. However you can read the article yourself, and make up your own mind. I certainly will keeping my eye on his writings, if only to tally up how many more chess references he can sneak in.

No comments: