Thursday 21 December 2023

Pocket Sets

 While doing some random Xmas shopping the other day, I came across some 'cheap and cheerful' chess sets. The kind that would never do for a competition game, but might be handing for a casual game on Boxing Day. It occurred to me that if serious chess players were given the choice between miniature sets, and oversized 'sculpture' sets, they would probably take the miniature set.

Bobby Fischer was said to carry one with him at all time, and Ulf Andersson used one on the way to becoming the highest rated Correspondence Chess player in 2002. Just in my line of sight as I type this are 5 such sets, and I suspect I have another half dozen scattered around the house. So if you are looking for a gift for another chess player, bigger is not necessarily better.

No comments: