Sunday 10 December 2023

Bakers Attack ? !

 I played in the annual Transfer (bughouse) event held in Canberra each year, with middling results. However, when I had the opportunity I wheeled out was I vaguely remembered was an opening called "Baker's Attack". It is an early sacrifice on f7, using 1.Nf3 2.Ne5 and 3.Nxf7. The the idea is to go the hack, either with an early Qh5+, or with e4 followed by Bc4+ 

However, I've failed to find an online reference to it, which may mean I am misremembering the name, or that it is even a real thing. Nonetheless, it did give me a few wins, even if isn't quite effective under the rules that are normally used in the ACT*

(*It has been a long tradition in Canberra Bughouse events that you cannot for a piece for checkmate. You can drop for forced mate, but not for an instant mate)

2 comments:

Mark said...

Canberra rules seem to be the singular exception (in the entire world!) that you cannot drop for mate. Having grown up with this rule, it doesn't seem weird to me, but I haven't forgotten the "hairy eyeballs" we'd get when interstate visitors played transfer with local Canberrans. I would really like to know why Canberra is different to everyone else....

Peter Johnston said...

Not the Cochrane gambit in the Petrov defence that you're referring to is it?
1. e4, e5
2. Nf3, Nf6
3. Nxe5, d6
4. Nxf7 ?