Friday 8 October 2021

What a difference 35 years makes

 Around 35 years ago I had to defend a R v R+B ending. It was during an ACT Chess Championship and I failed to do so, being mated on about the 50th move (since the last capture). In those days FIDE had extended the number of moves required to claim a draw to 75, so I did not have a chance to claim, evein if I held out for a few more moves.

For the second time in my career, I had to hold this ending once again. It was played in an online event, although there was a 15 second increment, which certainly helped. This time I was much more successful, hanging on for the full 50 moves (121 moves in total). I did make one mistake during the ending (around move 91), but my opponent missed the correct reply, and I was able to defend after that. 

Probably the main difference between this game and the previous one was that I was more aware of the defensive tricks, including the 2nd rank defence, which I used. Apart from the checks from the side and behind, there was also a couple of stalemate tricks, which I suspect my opponent did not see until they landed on the board.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Post the GAMES!!!

Anonymous said...

https://lichess.org/8rJvqoGA/