Sunday 24 October 2021

Take the shot

 With OTB chess resuming in NSW, Victoria and ACT in the next few weeks, the vaccination status of players is likely to become an important topic. The Box Hill Chess Club in Victoria is requiring all tournament participants (and I assume spectators) to be fully vaccinated, although this now means that players under the age of 12 are excluded from playing at the club (as currently there is no vaccine for them).

I also believe that a similar requirement is also in place for Contract bridge events, although the effect on under 12's is significantly less. 

I'm not sure if the Australian Chess federation is taking a position on this (although it may have been discussed at their council meeting last week), but this does not preclude State Associations and local clubs on setting their own rules. As of today, I am advising players in events I organise to bring proof of vaccination with them, as I do not wish them to be caught out by venue rules. 

No comments: