Monday 15 February 2021

I'm a heartless monster

 While coaching some very young children today, I noticed a reticence to exchange pieces. "Why don't you capture that pawn?" I asked, "Because then my pawn will get killed" came the reply. "But it is an equal trade" I continued. "But I don't want my pawn to be killed" said the 5 year old.

Funnily enough I have this attitude when playing other games, but not chess. Especially in character building games where you skill up characters you control, losing a particular favourite can be devastating, even if you can simply repeat this process with another one. But chess, chess is different. They are just pawns (and pieces) at my command, and if I have to sacrifice most of them to achieve my ultimate goal, I will not hesitate to do so! 

No comments: