Monday 12 July 2010

A nice chess set design



In a couple of previous blog posts, I have stated that there is no more a useless gift for a chess player than a non-tournament chess set. Not only does this include ornately designed sets but also novelty sets such as the Simpsons or drinking sets (OK, I'll admit to liking the Simpsons sets, but it would have been far better with extra characters included).
But via Susan Polgars blog comes a chess set that I don't mind. It is Naef Bauhaus Chess Set designed in 1923, and is available from Retro to Go. It is a simple design but yet one I could quite happily see on my coffee table. Of course I would probably still find it difficult to use for playing or analysis, but as alternative sets go, it is one of the best I've seen. The only drawback, the price!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Does it come with a spare Queen? :)