Wednesday 30 December 2009

Nice Geometry


As I've stated before, I prefer to read the solution to a chess problem than actually solve it. I admire the cleverness of the problem setter in terms of how the solution looks, rather than how hard it is. And solutions that have a particular 'twist' to them appeal to me the most.
An example is the solution to the diagrammed position. It is a mate in 3, and the main line has an appealing 'shape' to it. To help you discover this shape, I'll give you a solution that doesn't work. The obvious 1.Qb1 (threatening Qb8#) fails to 1. ... Bg3, covering the target square. So you need to find another plan.

2 comments:

Paul said...

Have you read "Secrets of Spectacular Chess" (2nd Edition) by GM Jonathan Levitt & FM David Friedgood ? You will like this book I guarantee. :-)

Shaun Press said...

Well, without giving too much away, I already have a copy of this book ...