Friday, 18 September 2026

2026 Chess Olympiad - Day 2

 I'll start with another complaint. The PNG Team (plus many others) are staying about an hour away from the venue. There is a morning shuttle bus service that starts at 10am, and I thought I would catch that in to see the final round of the FIDE People with Disabilities Olympiad. But there was no 10am bus, or 10:30 am bus, as apparently, the drivers were off having breakfast. So I missed that

On the other hand, the PNG Open team won their 2nd round match 2.5-1.5, against Palau. Not only was this a good win over our Oceania rivals, it was the earliest match win for a PNG team in the Olympiad (there was a 4-0 win on forfeit in Rd 2 at Baku, but that hardly counts).

 Stuart Fancy won a very quick game on Board 1, and Ishmael Amnol won his first Olympiad game on Board 3. And back and forth draw on Board 4 by Kavaea Evara sealed the match win for PNG. The Women's team had their chances against Togo, but went down 4-0. However they are in good spirits and tomorrow they should start to put some points on the board.

One of the regions larger islands (Australia) seems to be doing well in both sections, winning 2.5-1.5 against Cyprus in the Open, and 3.5-0.5 against South Korea in the Women's section.

 

Fancy, Stuart - Pedro, Aron
2026 Olympiad Round 2, PNG v Palau, 17.09.2026


No comments: