Thursday 1 March 2007

From Beginner to Club Player

Over my past 20 years of chess coaching I have been asked what books I would recommend to new chess players to study/learn from. While I have given a number of different answers, experience has lead me to mainly recommend 3 books. Taken as a set, these 3 books should be able to take any enthusiastic and hard working player from someone learning the rules up until club level.

1. Comprehensive Chess Course by Lev Alburt & Roman Pelts
Since I discovered this book this has been the mainstay of my coaching resource. The first volume is designed to explain the rules and get you playing chess, while the second volume helps you learn what you need to be a chessplayer. While designed to be used as a self-learner, it is also very useful in the hands of a chess coach for class teaching.

2. Play Better Chess by Leonard Barden
In my opinion the best single volume beginners book written. Starting with an explanation of the rules, it progresses from simple tactics and opening traps to informative opening analysis and player biographies. It's main strength is that every section is both interesting and informative. The only drawback: As far as I know it is out of print meaning that you may have to purchase it second hand.

3. Logical Chess Move by Move by Irving Chernev
For a long time I treated anything by Chernev (and Reinfeld) with suspicion, meaning I ignored this book quite unfairly. Having picked up a second hand copy a few years ago, I now kick myself that I didn't read it when I started chess as a teenager. Containing a collection of games, Chernev explains the reasoning behind every move played in every game. For the player who has progressed beyond the "how" and is moving onto the "why" this book should equip you with enough knowledge to confidently start your club or tournament career. (I've even recommended it to an Olympiad player of my acquaintance) .

No comments: