Thursday 1 October 2020

This is not the Bongcloud

 I am not shocked that a number of internet based events have now descended into a competition among the top GM's to see who can troll the hardest (it is the internet after all). All very amusing (except to some outraged purists), but could people at least get the names of the openings correct. (Am I the chess equivalent of the grammar police?)

1.e4 e5 2.Ke2 is the Bongcloud. Not 1.f3 e5 2.Kf2 This instead is the Hammerschlag. And for further reference 1.e4 f5 is The Fred (often followed up with 2.exf5 Kf7 aka The Tumbleweed for black), while 1.e4 e5 2.f4 exf4 3.Kf2 is the Tumbleweed for white.



Carlsen,Magnus (2863) - So,Wesley (2770) [A00]
chess24 Banter Series Final chess24.com (40.1), 29.09.2020


2 comments:

Greg said...

You take a cheap shot at at the "Outraged Purists," then immediately start sniveling because the world doesn't take a joke opening seriously enough?! (Yea, you're being a bit of an idiot.)

Shaun Press said...

No not at all, although it is hard to convey the dry humour of 'All very amusing' in the written form.
Funnily enough, when I was off to play Liren Ding at the World Cup last year, I was dared by someone (possibly my son) to play the Bongcloud against him. I declined on the grounds that it would be both disrespectful to my opponent, and to the seriousness of the event (as was the suggestion I offer an early draw in the second game).