Tuesday 16 June 2009

More free-ish training software

When I first started taking chess seriously I was fortunate that my parents brought me a small chess computer as a present. I was also fortunate that this happened in 1982, when chess computers weren't that strong. As a result I was able to improve my chess without having to rely on a chess coach, which may (or may not) have been a good thing.
These days there is a huge amount of free coaching resource available. Another addition to the market is Peshk@ from the people at ChessOK. Actually only part of it is free (the interface and demo versions of course), with the full courses costing money.
The full courses seem to be the same as available in the Convetka training series (Theory of Chess Endings, Opening Blunders etc), but I assume that will be cheaper than purchasing them as stand alone programs. It has all the same features as the Convetka software (Practice and Test modes, Elo tracking) but with an improved interface.
I'll probably give it a proper work out in a week or 2, before deciding whether it is worth investing money in.
(Thanks once again to Milan Ninchich for alerting me to this)

No comments: