Sunday 8 July 2007

Chessbase 8, Fritz 8 Problem (Solved)

Last year sometime I got a copy of Chessbase 8. The a couple of weeks later I purchased a copy of Fritz 8 from a computer game store for around $20 (I'm pretty sure they weren't aware of its usual retail price!). Unfortunately I couldn't get Chessbase 8 to use Fritz 8 as an analysis engine. Every time I tried it would ask me to insert the Engine CD and when I did it would then tell me it wasn't the engine CD.
Finally today I found the answer. Although it is a simple (and obvious) answer, attempts to search the web to find help were unsuccessful, and so I'll post it hear to help other poor souls like me.
The simple solution is to click on the "update" option in Chessbase 8 and download the update. Looking at the upgrade file it appears that the upgrade is required to allow ChessBase 8 to talk to some of the newer engines including Fritz 7&8, plus Shredder 7 and Tiger 15.

No comments: